01 July 2010

8 weeks young

This was a big week! Josiah will be 2 months on July 6th, and he had his checkup yesterday. The doc says he is very strong and he has gained 3 pounds since last visit. He is up to 10.2 pounds..woo hoo! I am one happy momma. He also got his first immunizations, hence the pics with the band-aids on his legs..:(. I gave him baby tylenol and nursed him before we went in, and he was asleep when they poked him. He was very strong, only cried a bit, then was fine. He has been a little fussy since, but he is getting a lot of baby massages and will be fine in no time.

Josiah is getting used to his Thursday photo shoot...8 weeks today!

My friend, Emily, made this onesy for Josiah, and it was his church outfit this Sunday. So cute!!

Josiah already has Chula as a bodyguard. She is never too far.

Here are some details of Josiah's first days. I wanted to write them down because, even after a few weeks, the details begin to fade. I never want to forget those moments, because they were some of the best in both John & my life!

It was a hot Cinco de Mayo, 2010, 3 days after I was due to have you. I took of work 2 weeks earlier to get ready for you to come. Grandma & Grandpa Perry were here for a week, and while we waited for you we started a landscaping project on our lawn. I was outside potting some flowers on my knees in the dirt, and Grandma asked me to come inside at 5:30 to help her make dinner. I was standing at the counter top and, all of a sudden, I felt my water break and a small gush of water leaked out of me. I gasped, told my Mom what happened, and ran to the bathroom. I knew it was time, changing my clothes and getting my bags ready to go to the hospital. Grandma yelled to your Dad, who was mowing the lawn, that it was time. We both took a quick shower, got our things ready, then left for the hospital. By the time I got there, I was soaking wet from the waist down, and I must have looked like I just got out of a swimming pool. It was a long walk to elevators, up the 3rd floor, and down the hall to the Labor and Delivery Unit. All along the way, my black flip flops were squeaking down the hallway, a towel wrapped around my waist. I was walking faster than your Dad, as he had all the bags to carry (a lot of stuff!).

We arrived, checked in, and walked into Triage. They told me to undress from the waist down and, as I did, another big “GUSH” of water. They said, “On second thought, here is a gown. Go ahead and change, we are going to admit you.” There was no doubt that you were coming!
When I was admitted, around 6:30, my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, I was dilated to 2 centimeters, and was 100% effaced. They moved me to a room where I met our nurse, Amanda, a very pretty lady with short, black, curly hair. She was very nice, and stayed with us the entire time we were there until you were born.

My contractions continued close together and very painful, until around 10:00 I was dilated to 4 and ready for my epidural. At 10:30 p.m., an anesthesiologist and his nurse came in to administer my epidural. It was pain medicine that helped Mommy, and Daddy, feel much better. After that, Mommy & Daddy catnapped through the night, as Amanda came in periodically to check to see how you and I were doing. Around 4:00 a.m. she came in to check me, and she told me that you were ready to come out. So, she went to get the midwife, Alma Kay Woolard, who was my doctor throughout my whole pregnancy. We were blessed for her to be able to deliver you. I started pushing at 4:22 a.m. and it was very tiring. They told me that they could see your head and that you had hair on your head. At 6:05 a.m., I gave one last push and you came out. I looked at you coming out of my tummy, long and lean. We didn’t know if you were a boy or a girl, so both Mommy and Daddy were looking to see what you were. When I found out you were a boy, I looked up to your Dad, who already knew, and I said, “It’s a boy!” He said it, too, and we hugged and cried because we were so excited and surprised! I will never forget that moment. You were the most amazing and precious thing either of us had ever seen. Dad helped with your first bath while they cleaned Mommy up. Then, they brought you back to me all wrapped up in a blanket and a hat with a parachute on it that read, “Delivered From Above” on it. We looked at you and you looked right back at us. We were instantly in love. You ate for the first time, and then you fell asleep in our arms. Your Dad prayed over you and all of us as a family. You have always been, and always will be, God’s miracle blessing to us, Josiah Anthony.

May 6, 2010
7 lbs. 14 oz.
21 ½ inches long
6:05 a.m.


Jessica Perry said...

Love that first picture of Josiah...great photo! I see so much of you in him. He sure is cute:)

The Power Family said...

Such a sweet post! =) *tears*

Melissa Hoffman said...

I am working on my story too. Yours made me cry! Oh I love being a mommy :)

Popular Posts