12 October 2008

cane toads.

*****WARNING: RANDOM POST************WARNING*************RANDOM**********

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend FLANC, the Foreign Language Association of North Carolina conference in Winston-Salem, NC.  It's about two hours northwest of Fayetteville, so I packed my bags for a few days to stay in four-star Marriott hotel.  Some people don't like to go to conferences, but I think if you walk away with a few new good ideas it was well worth it.  

But, we did have some down time.  I was really tired so I decided to go up to my room and rest.  If any of you know me, I am a news fanatic.  I watch Fox News all the time.  I consider it my obligation to know what is going on in my community and around the world, especially with elections coming up.  Well, I vowed to myself I would not watch the news this weekend, as it has become an all-out war of the candidates, so I flipped the channels and found a program on National Geographic about "cane toads."  

Here are some interesting things you may have not known about cane toads:"
*native to the Americas
*the venomous toad was brought to Queensland, Australia in the 1930s in an attempt to reduce destructive cane beetle population.
*weigh about 2.9 lbs. and are 4-6 in. long (huge suckers!)
*have enough venom in them to kill a small child
*are considered pests and government efforts to eradicate the toads 
Photo: Close-up of a cane toad in grass

2 comments:

Jessica Perry said...

You are SO funny! Thank you for the info on the ole cane's. I will keep that in mind for years to come. As the saying goes...you learn something new every day...

On a much less important note, I bet the conference was neat. I love conferences. Learning new things and getting spoiled with nice hotels and delicious food...it's a little vaca!

rebeccavalentine said...

LOL...I'll keep this in mind next time I go to Australia :) I heard you had quite a day including a speeding ticket :(

Popular Posts