31 March 2012

AHA Amish Moment...Move over Oprah.


I am addicted to a show on UNC TV called "The American Experience." I recently watched the show that documented the Amish in the U.S. and it was fascinating. I was captivated by so much of what they said and did, but this story summed up a large point of what their priorities are:

Nearly 2 million people take tours to visit Amish communities each year. An Amish man steps on one of the tour buses and a man asks him, "What is the difference between you and me?"

The Amish man answered, "How many of you own a television in your home?" Nearly every hand on the bus raised.

The Amish man asked, "How many of you feel you'd be better off without a television?" Nearly every hand on the bus raised.

The Amish man asked, "How many of you will go home and get rid of the television in your home?" No one raised their hand.

The Amish man stated, "That is the difference between you and me. If it's not good for the family, we don't do it."

WOW.

2 comments:

Jessica Perry said...

Wow!! You have no idea how many times Mike and I talk about getting rid of our tv. AND, we've also talked about being Amish! lol I haven't heard of this show. Must watch it.

Unknown said...

Back home we have a lot of Amish. I got so used to seeing them growing up and now when we go back home it feels weird. Well not weird. More like a novelty. Jason and I have honestly talked about getting rid of the TV but it never happens. lol

Popular Posts